The Anisfield-Wolf Book Awards recognizes outstanding works that contribute to our understanding of racism and our appreciation of the rich diversity of human cultures. Awards are given for both fiction and nonfiction. Submissions will be accepted beginning September 1. The submission deadline is December 31. The winners are announced in the spring.
To submit a book for consideration, send five copies with a completed copy of the Entry Form to:
Karen R. Long
c/o Anisfield-Wolf Book Awards
The Cleveland Foundation
1422 Euclid Avenue, Suite 1300
Cleveland, OH 44115
Upon receipt, the books will be forwarded to the jury. All submitted materials become the property of the Anisfield-Wolf Book Awards and will not be returned.
- Books must be written in English and published in the previous year (i.e. books published in 2014 are eligible for the 2015 prize).
- Awards are given for both fiction and nonfiction.
- Works of poetry are eligible for the fiction prize.
- All submitted materials become the property of the Anisfield-Wolf Book Awards and will not be returned.
- The deadline for submission is December 31. Entries arriving after the deadline must be postmarked by December 31 to be eligible.
- Publicity materials should not be included with the entry.
- Confirmation of delivery receipt is not provided.
- The following are NOT eligible for consideration:
- Works in progress
- Electronically published or e-books
- Self-published works
For Publishers – Prizes and Recognition
- Anisfield-Wolf winners receive their prize at a ceremony in Cleveland.
- Award recipients traditionally receive a monetary gift of $10,000 from the Anisfield-Wolf Fund.
- Winners are required to participate in media interviews and publicity opportunities in conjunction with the prize.
- Publishers are encouraged to place independent congratulatory ads for their winners.
- Publishers are encouraged to include on their website mention of the Anisfield-Wolf prize in conjunction with their winning authors.